Saturday, February 16, 2008

Macro Photography Project




f/7.1
ISO 200
Manual
Focal Length:100.0mm
Lens: 100mm f2.8 Macro USM
Flash Fired (-2/3)
Time:12:03pm
Metering:Partial
Temp: 5300k
Tripod
Adobe Camera Raw/PhotoshopCS3

Sunlight coming through window behind camera. Black matte board underneath. Object one of a set of metal dice (measures 3/4" x 3/4").

I wanted to capture the dramatic sayings on the dice, but not put them just in a "middle space" of the photo, so I set the die off to the side of the framing. I also wanted to emphasize the message as much as possible, so I tried to get only that message to pop out (by getting the natural sunlilght to shine on that part of the dice).

The dice are given to participants at my work (Center for Creative Leadership), and you can role the dice to come up with different "thoughts" or "ideas" for the day. This saying caught my attention and is very powerful unto itself.

2 comments:

Moni Caron said...

I love the dice!!
You see how fun it is to get out of comfort zone?
I would have never thought of photographing a dice. I would look for a flower or recipe book or something else...but a dice??
I really like the dramatic light, camera angle and the way you described how you did to produce this image.
Great job!

me said...

Very cool shot, nice composition. Love it.