Thursday, July 24, 2008

Emotion as your source of work

My mom and sister, seeing snow falling from the sky, in the San Juan Mountains, for the first time in their lives, May 22, 2008, while we were going to Monument Valley.

I've been through lots of emotions this year.


My family (mom, middle sister Lisi, and step dad came to visit me). We did more than 2000 miles while they were here and saw more than they could possibly dream seeing in such short time (Lisi stayed 2 weeks, parents stayed 3).


Above all, what remarked me the most was the connection we had. I knew that. They knew that, but yet, saying goodbye was the hardest thing ever. It always is when half of your heart goes aways when you say bye.


While my family was visiting, I learned I have friends who are more family than friends. I learned they accept me for who I am. I learned I love them more than i think I possibly could. I learned that I AM and I CAN BE much more. I can be anything I want. I can create new dreams in my head and heart and go chase them!!


Eventually, I learned a little more about being a photographer and being a better person. I learned that being a photographer is not only about capturing that beautiful landscape at the sunrise, or the beautiful smile of my sister and wise look of my mom. It is that too, but it is much more than that.


I learned that sometimes, when you have a picture that is meaningful it is really hard to really tell WHY. I realized sometimes I like it because of the beauty. Sometimes I like it because of the angle. Sometimes I like it because of the light. Sometimes I like it because of the composition.

Sometimes I like it because of the story it tells, or even because of the story behind it, when i took it, or wonder what happened when someone took a picture, what was the story behind it.

But most of all, the reason why I photograph is emotion.


A photograph not only tells a story without words, it is also capable of causing emotion, stirring your own memories from inside - and sometimes old memories by association). A photograph is about a story you lived, someone else lived, and the story that will come after. The never told story.


Emotion is what stirs me. Passion. Happiness. Mood. Sometimes introspective days. Emotion is what this assignment will be about. Tell me a story. Tell me how you thought about it. Why did you pick the subject, how did you produced it. What were you trying to say? Or, did you capture the emotion, or did the emotion captured you?


The interpretation is part of the assignment.


Deadline is August 10, 2008. Go live and photograph :)

1 comment:

cooleye said...

I will start working on this assignment right now! How to capture a raw emotion and also have a wonderful connection to the photo...very tough indeed. But it should be a great challenge! Thanks for sharing some of yourself with us all Moni and for sharing the photo of the family.